Relics of Saint Gregorios of Parumala
The late Geevarghese Mâr Gregorios Chathuruthy (15 June 1848 - 4 November 1902) is the first native Indian to be declared as a saint of any church. He was particularly well known for his refusal to join the Mar Thoma Reformation movement which the British used to convert the Orthodox Indians to Protestantism. He is also known for his personal work in preserving the Indian form of Neo-Syriac, which he conversed in fluently and taught to many others. Although it is not the language of Yeshue, Syriac holds a special place in the hearts and minds of the Malayali people of Kerala, because it connects them to the Church of Antioch founded by Saint Yaqoub Bar Adai in the 7th Century.
His Holiness Baselios Geevarghese II declared him a saint of the Indian Orthodox Church in 1947; and then the Patriarch of Antioch, His Holiness Ignatius Zakka IIwas declared him a saint of the the Syriac Orthodox Church in 1987. The Nazarani Church also considers him as a saint and is proud to also possess some of his relics.
The majority of Mâr Gregorios' relics are housed at the Malecuriz St. George monastery in the Ernakulam district of Kerala State in southern India. Other relics are held in other places, including the Saint Gregorios Ashram in Kandanad, which has one of his cassocks; and the Comunidad de San Adai in Guanajuato, México which has his myron (basmanu) bag.